Emerson’s Birth Story

I’ve been dying to put this day into words since we had Emmie. I’ve replayed it over and over again in my head and never want to forget how it felt to bring another life into this world.

First off, I made the mistake of convincing myself that she was going to come early, like 2-3 weeks early. My mom had all of us early, and my sister had both of hers early too, so I just knew I wouldn’t make it to 40 weeks. Let me tell you, if you’re pregnant, never ever make that assumption! 🤣 That last month is LONG, and thinking baby will come early just makes it even longer when they don’t come early!

I had weekly checkups starting at 36 weeks, and every time I would go in my doctor would assure me she was coming soon and say “there’s no way you’ll make it to 40 weeks.” I [naively] believed her and always got my hopes up…another mistake haha! Because lo and behold, she did not come early, and had I not gotten induced, Lord only knows how long I would have been pregnant! 

My doctor and I made the decision for me to be induced the day before she was due. I had really mixed feelings about it, but I was so miserable at the end that it just made sense. We did the day before because it was the day my doctor was on call, and if I was going to be induced, I wanted her to be the one to deliver Emmie! In the end, I was happy with my decision since we were only one day shy of her due date. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little disappointed that I didn’t get to experience “going into labor” on my own, but it all worked out just like it should have!

Induction Day!

I woke up at 6:00 am and had to call the hospital to see if they had an open bed for me. Much to my surprise, they said “Come in at 7:30 and we’ll get you going.” EEEEEEK!!! I ran and told Josh, then debated whether to wake my mom (since Emmie took her sweet time, my mom was able to make it to Montana a few days before I had her) nicely or shout, “Rise and shine, it’s baby time!” Well, you can probably guess which one I went with! 😬

It still didn’t seem real. I hopped in the shower really quickly, got ready and packed the rest of my bag (because of course it still wasn’t fully packed!), and we loaded up and headed to the hospital!

I had to snap the obligatory “last pictures before she was born.” Man, it’s hard to remember being that pregnant, but that belly was stretched to the MAX!

We got to the hospital and checked in and were ready to get the party started!

Those gowns are just beautiful!

Then I hopped into the bed, and they started hooking me up to the monitors and getting the pitocin started. I was terrified of the pitocin…of the pain and of something going wrong, but I managed to remain calm. Still didn’t seem real at this point. They started that around 9:30 am, and we just sat around and waited for things to kick in! I really didn’t know what to expect. Other people can only tell you so much, you kind of have to experience it for yourself.

Josh took a little snooze.

Once the pitocin started, it took a little while for things to get going. I was pretty comfortable for a couple of hours then started feeling some minor contractions. Everyone enjoyed watching them on the screen and comparing them to the woman in the room next to me. 😂

My water still hadn’t broken, so they let me know my doctor would be in around noon to do that. I was still relatively comfortable at that point. She came in around 12:30 and broke my water. Definitely didn’t know what to expect for that, and I’ll spare you the details, but just wow…that was an experience!

Once that happened, things really started moving. After about an hour, I was having full-on contractions! Right on top of each other, couldn’t talk, couldn’t breathe. Everything they say is true…even though I got induced, there’s no mistaking actual labor contractions! They were so painful, like nothing I’ve ever felt. I was squeezing Josh’s hand every time and had to take my rings off because I was squeezing so hard!

The Epidural

A little back story on the epidural…

As long as I’ve known I wanted kids, I’ve also known that I wanted an epidural. I never needed to go all natural and was perfectly fine with getting the epidural. Well, about 2 weeks before my due date, I had a strange feeling that I needed to at least try to do it without the epidural. I wanted to know what the contractions felt like before I made a decision. I mean, people have been giving birth without epidurals for centuries, so I could do it, right!?


I remember looking over at the nurse and saying, “These are already really painful, and it’s only going to get worse, right?” HAHA! She replied, “Yes, way way worse.” And that was when I made the decision to get the epidural. Sure, I could have done it, and it would have hurt like hell. But honestly, I didn’t want to look back on that day and remember how awful the pain was just to say I did it without the epidural. There’s no right or wrong choice here, just what’s right for you. That was the right decision for us, and I’m so glad I decided to get it. 

The anesthesiologist came in to do the epidural, and I was in so much pain. He kept apologizing for poking me with needles, and I was just thinking how that was nothing compared to what I was feeling. Poke me with all the needles, just gimme that epidural!! 🤣 The first attempt only worked on one side, and I could still feel everything on my left side, so he had to come back and do it again. After that, it was smooth, smooth sailing. I literally felt NOTHING once that kicked in. 

I don’t remember the exact timeline, but there was a period where I was just laying in the bed, almost dozing off. I was so relaxed and comfortable again, I almost told Josh that he could let my mom and his parents back in to give us some company. They all got kicked out before my contractions started because I didn’t want anyone but Josh seeing that!

They were so anxious and kept asking Josh for updates but nothing was really happening. They wanted to know what I was dilated to, and if I was making any progress. I came in at a 3 but had no idea where I was at then. The nurse told me she could check me if I wanted her to, so I just said sure, why not? I think she had just told our families that it would be a while, and I wasn’t very close. 

So she did the check and made a weird face and kind of started laughing. So I was like, “What? What’s wrong?” She responded with, “Weirdest cervical check ever. Her head is right there! You’re about to have a baby!”

WAIT, WHAT!? I had no idea…seriously could feel nothing. Before that, they kept having to adjust the baby’s heart rate monitor because they kept losing the heart beat. So she said well that probably explains why we couldn’t get a good heart beat reading…she was moving down so low! Haha!

Go Time!

Once that happened, everything is kind of a blur. I remember Josh running out to tell our parents then coming back in and chugging a Starbucks double shot can! 😂

They started getting everything ready for delivery and called my doctor down. I feel like everyone was in a panic because it all happened so quickly. I’m sure they were calm, and I was the one in a panic! And I’m sure some other things happened, but like I said, BLUR.

The nurse went through some practice pushes with me. I hadn’t gone to any classes or researched anything about “how” to have a baby haha! I always said my body would do what it needed to do and the nurses and doctors would talk me through it, and they did! I think we did maybe 2 practice pushes and the nurse made me stop, saying “You’re about to have this baby.”

My doctor came down shortly after, walked in the room, and was like, “Whoa! Here I am just traipsing in and you’re ready to have a baby! I didn’t realize you were this close.” or something along those lines…

HOLY CRAP! We’re really having a baby! In all seriousness, it’s like I wasn’t even in my body. It was the most surreal and crazy thing I’ve ever experienced in my life. I never even had time to freak out. It all just kind of happened! 

After that, I just remember the nurses asking if it was my first baby and shocked that things were moving so quickly. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I don’t remember everything they were saying but they and my doctor were making jokes, and I couldn’t stop laughing. Then it came time to really push! Again, I could literally feel nothing, I just thought I was going to pass out from pushing and holding my breath. In between pushes, I was still laughing. I think mostly because I was still in disbelief that our daughter was moments away from being outside of my body. I think if you know me, it’s not the craziest thing that I was laughing while giving birth to my daughter. I’m a pretty happy-go-lucky kind of person. 😂

I think I pushed for about 20 minutes, and then we welcomed our sweet, perfect little girl into the world, with country music playing, of course. After I had her my doctor looked at me and said, “You just laughed your baby out.” Haha! I feel like that’s pretty fitting for her birth story. Happy and calm, just like her!

Little Emerson Reese was born at 3:52 pm, 7 lbs 5 oz and 20.5 in. long! She was (and is) absolute perfection!

Everyone was a little teary-eyed! Best day ever.

Daddy got to cut the cord and mommy got skin on skin contact!

I cannot believe how much different she looks right here! Funny story – we were laying like this for a while, and she was so close to my face, I had to ask Josh to show me a picture from his phone because I didn’t even know what she looked like!

Had to get a picture with our awesome doctor!

We did it! We’re a family of three!

Can’t believe we made her and that she’s all ours!

Everyone’s birth story is different, and I am forever grateful that ours went so well! We couldn’t have asked for a better team of nurses and doctor to help deliver her!


The day our lives were forever changed in the best way possible.

Welcome to the world, sweet girl!

We love you more than you’ll ever know!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *